Monday, January 6, 2014

Julep Essential Cuticle Oil

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

The last couple of weeks I haven't been wearing nail polishes. I was letting my nails get stronger after breaking couple of them. I was going to start wearing nail polishes again this week and yesterday unfortunately, I broke another nail. I don't think my nail has been this weak that I ever recall! I will let them breathe for two more weeks and hopefully, my nail will be strong enough so I can start wearing polishes. Even though I won't be posting Manicure Monday, I will try to review products related to nails. For this post, I will review Julep cuticle oil I received as a gift.

Where to purchase: julep.com
Price: $18 for 8.2 mL/ 0.28 fl oz ($14.40 for Mavens)

Made in USA

Description from the box: The secret to maintaining your manicure. Unique roller-ball applicator has made Essential Cuticle Oil a cult favorite. Made with vitamin E and all natural essential oils that absorb quickly into your nails, enriching and strengthening while leaving a glossy sheen. No more excuses for skipping this important daily beauty routine!
Ingredients:
Thoughts: My friend has smooth cuticles and whenever she wears nail polishes, it looks hot on her! I was thankful to receive this as a gift. I was hoping my cuticles would look hot as her but I'll take what I have.
Here's the packaging. It's a simple bottle.
Here's a closer look at the cuticle oil.
This cuticle oil comes with a roller-ball.

Now for my overall opinion... First of all, I've read reviews and they complained about the scent. I just sniffed it out of curiosity. I never noticed the scent until now. It smells like one of those lemony scent that people use to clean the floors. It actually doesn't bother me, and I don't agree it smells like lavender. Secondly, I'm not too sure if roller-ball or polish wand is better. I have never used cuticle oils in the past. I definitely think the roller-ball is easy to move around your cuticles. Other than that, I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. I'm sure I will be more opinionated as time goes on with experience. Third, this can get messy. Isn't all oils messy? Messy, in the sense, that oils will be all over your fingers and makes it hard to open your door. If you use the cuticle oil, I do suggest you leave all your doors open to you have easy access to a sink to wash your hands. I also suggest if you paint your nails after using the cuticle oil (even after washing), wipe your nails with alcohol. It will get rid of the oils on your nails and your polish will last longer. Lastly, my right ring finger has always been dried for several years now. I thought it was genetics because no matter how much I moisturize it with lotion, it'll still be dried. After using the cuticle oil, that has gone away. For that reason, now I'm a weekly user of cuticle oil. Not only that, it feels nice massaging my own cuticles.

Pros:
* They donate a portion of proceeds to organizations that support women.
* Simple packaging.
* Easy to hold.
* Comes in a roller-ball; easy to maneuver.
* Not noticeable scent.
* Hydrates the cuticles.

Cons:
* Cannot find in stores.
* Cannot test out before purchasing.
* Smells like cleaning products.

Would repurchase: Yes.
Rating:  4/5 Tobey's Paws


Other Julep products reviewed/swatch:

Disclaimer: The product mentioned in this post is given to me. I am not affiliated with the company nor getting paid to advertise the product. This post is written with my honest opinion.

4 comments:

Sachi said...

I find the roller ball oils to be too messy. I find creams to be more user friendly. (plus if you knock it over on your carpet, cream stays in the pot/tube. oil...not so much) I love how I am not the only one who looks at other's cuticles. Mine are in sad shape and I always admire when some ones look smooth and moisturized

Ahleessa said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who looks at other people's cuticle... hehe~ :) I also look at the shape of the nails, how the polish is painted, and so on. I sound pretty anno! :X


Ahhh~ I need to try creams next. Thanks for telling me! This is a new thing for me. :)

Beautetude said...

Such a great detailed review.

Ahleessa said...

Thank you! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...